Cruz v. LG Chem Ltd. et al.
Supreme Court of British Columbia
November 19, 2012
All persons resident in British Columbia who, during some or all of the period from January 1, 2002 to January 1, 2012 purchased Lithium Ion Rechargeable Batteries, or Products Containing Lithium Ion Rechargeable Batteries.
This class action alleged that Defendants and their senior executives participated in illegal and secretive meetings and made agreements to fix, maintain, increase, and control the price for the supply of Lithium Ion Rechargeable Batteries and/or enhance unreasonably the prices of Lithium Ion Rechargeable Batteries and to lessen unduly competition in the sale of Lithium Ion Rechargeable Batteries in Canada and elsewhere.
Claims process for settlement funds – MAKE A CLAIM NOW
Anyone who purchased LIBs or LIB Products in Canada between January 1, 2000 and January 1, 2012 is eligible to claim settlement benefits.
- “LIB” means lithium ion batteries, a type of rechargeable batteries.
- “LIB Products” are laptop computers, notebook computers, tablet computers, e-book readers, MP3 players, personal digital assistants, handheld GPS, handheld video players, cellphones or smartphones (excluding cell phones acquired as part of a cell phone service contract), or replacement batteries for any of these products.
The claims process is now open. Claims can be submitted online at www.batteriessettlement.ca. The deadline to make a claim is December 17, 2021. For more details about the claims process, please see the Long Form Notices.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected] or call the claims administrator toll-free at 1-866-726-4080.
Settlements have been reached with all Defendants totalling approximately CDN $21.3 million. The Ontario and Quebec courts approved a protocol for distributing the net settlement amount. A copy of the Distribution Protocol is available under Important Documents along with copies of the settlement agreements.
- NEC Corporation and NEC Tokin Corporation (“NEC”) for CDN $50,000;
- Samsung SDI Co., Ltd. and Samsung SDI America, Inc. (“Samsung”) for USD $2,200,000 (converted to approximately CDN $2,778,600);
- Sony Corporation, Sony Energy Devices Corporation, Sony Electronics, Inc. and Sony of Canada Ltd. (“Sony”) for CDN $4,500,000.
- LG Chem, Ltd. and LG Chem America, Inc. (“LG Chem”) for USD $3,900,000 (converted to approximately CDN $5,100,000);
- Toshiba Corporation, Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc. and Toshiba of Canada Limited (“Toshiba”) for CDN $264,759.67;
- Maxwell Holdings, Ltd. (formerly Hitachi Maxwell Ltd.) and Maxwell Corporation of America (“Maxwell”) for USD $300,000 (converted to approximately CDN $390,000); and
- Panasonic Corporation, Panasonic Corporation of North America, Panasonic Canada Inc., and Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd. (“Panasonic”) for USD $6,295,00.
For more information please contact Sharon Wong, Paralegal at (604) 689-7555 or by email at [email protected].
Lithium Ion Rechargeable Batteries - Status Updates:
August 17, 2021
Lithium Ion Rechargeable Batteries Claims Process - View
December 4, 2020
Lithium Batteries – New Settlement - View
October 8, 2019
Lithium Ion Batteries Class Action - View
May 13, 2019
Lithium Ion Rechargeable Batteries Settlements - View
BACK TO TOP